Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Terrible


I have heard about "Terrible Two's" for years but I never believed they existed until a couple months ago. The "Terrible Two" stage is when a toddler goes through a stage of throwing tantrums and crying a lot (hence the "terrible"). Professionals say that this is mostly caused by a child becoming more independent but still not being able to properly communicate. I think it's true! Ruth didn't have a "Terrible Two" stage. I'm not exaggerating at all. She didn't have her first tantrum until after Gareth was born (and I believe that was caused more by sibling rivalry than lack of communication). Ruth had a vocabulary of over 200 words when she was 18 months old (I have proof if you don't believe me) so she had no trouble communicating. So now we have Gareth who is only now beginning to be able to put sentences together. We love him dearly and are thankful to him for giving us the challenges and learning experiences associated with "Terrible Two's".

7 comments:

Kate said...

Do you think the communication is different because of gender or personality or a mix of both? I'm curious on your insight on this since you've got one of each - girl and boy.

Jones said...

Why does my son ALWAYS have something on his face when you take a picture of him?

Kristina said...

You liar! No one is grateful for the terrible twos!!!
Good luck with that though. We will be there soon enough!

Havilah said...

I like my pictures to be natural and to express 'real life'. I don't believe in wiping my kids' faces before pictures unless they're professional or for a specific purpose. And the reality of our life is that Gareth ALWAYS has something on his face (and yes, I do clean it off multiple times during the day).

And Kristina, I AM grateful for the terrible twos.. because if I wasn't grateful then I'd be bitter and that just wouldn't lead me anywhere. So THERE :P

Kat Curtis said...

Oh Havilah. I love reading your blog. You make me laugh so hard. Adam always has stuff on his face too and it's in all of his pictures, I'm with you in the natural pictures realm (or I just can't keep up with what ends up on Adam's face).

Adam has hit the terrible twos with full force as well. Ben did too when he was this age. Adam actually has started to revert back to two-a-days for his naps (long in AM, quick nap in afternoon) and it has helped his tantrums substantially. Bless these poor little kiddos who can't talk as well as they'd like yet!

Rachel said...

Hahaha, Jonesy's comment was hilarious! You just tell him "because he eats with his cheeks!" Lilly is in the Terrible Two's too. It's so hard isn't it!? Random fits of crying and shrieking, enough to rip your hair out!

Bekah said...

I thought they were over. Robbie now has the terrible threes.