
Jones and I have officially begun reading our first book together for the year. (okay.. we're cheating!!! We're listening to an audio version of it!)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon is the coolest book ever. Stay tuned for our full report when we finish it in the next couple days!
So what do YOU think? Is listening to an audio book the same as reading a book? Do you consider it cheating when you are supposed to be reading it? Please! I need some answers so I can know whether or not my guilt is justified!
8 comments:
Audio books are awesome! I used to go through a couple audio books a week when I worked for the FS. I had to drive all day long out the forest and stay overnight, and the books kept me company. I got books by Thomas Hardy to Stephen Hawking (whose Black Holes and Baby Universes audio book was pretty fascinating). It's definitely not cheating. I do think there is something to holding a book in your hand and turning the pages, but listening to books is also wonderful.
Audio books are totally NOT cheating - it is an excellent tool for multi-tasking, and I am an audio learner, so I tend to retain more from hearing it....as long as it's not annoying narration. :) And if you're just going to be reading it out loud anyways, there's no need to talk your voices raw - have someone else read for you.
Listening is not cheating, it's a great way to get your reading in. Chris never "reads" books any more, but always listens to them - while commuting, doing yard work, etc.
The Graveyard Book just won the Newbery award today. I'm very excited to read it myself!
I agree with everyone here, listening is not cheating. My preferred learning style is visual and yet as I have been listening to atleast 2 audio books a week in the last 4 years, I have found that I am developing the ability to audio process information which for me is awesome since I have recently just returned to college. I think that reading and listening to a book equally is beneficial. Liam loves to be read to by us and also audiobooks. I think exposure to both is ideal.
It is never cheating. I have enjoyed several books on "tape" as I fought the 2 hour traffic to and from the zoo every summer and fall for seven years. In manyways I prefer them to the books. There are some i may never have gotten through reading, but the reader of the story made it so interesting.
It is never cheating. I have enjoyed several books on "tape" as I fought the 2 hour traffic to and from the zoo every summer and fall for seven years. In manyways I prefer them to the books. There are some i may never have gotten through reading, but the reader of the story made it so interesting.
It is never cheating. I have enjoyed several books on "tape" as I fought the 2 hour traffic to and from the zoo every summer and fall for seven years. In manyways I prefer them to the books. There are some i may never have gotten through reading, but the reader of the story made it so interesting.
Audio books can either make or break a book. With the right reader, it makes it so much richer. The wrong reader just means you have to read it yourself later.
Audiobooks are the only way to drive!
Post a Comment