
I've been a bit hesitant about sitting down with Ruth to teach her how to read. Sometimes it seems she has a short attention span for doing things like that (for example: she rarely will sit down and color a picture..after about a minute she'll ask me to finish it for her). But as I noticed that she has somehow (without my help) learned all the sounds that each of the letters make I started thinking that maybe I should at least give it a try. THEN my mother sent Ruth all of my niece's old learn-to-read books for Christmas.
The other day Ruth and I sat down during Gareth's nap and gave it a try. I was shocked and amazed at how well she did! She understands the concept of putting the sounds of the letters together to make the word and she's very good at it. She was able to read the whole book in one sitting (it really wasn't that long, but I was amazed). This is an exciting breakthrough for us!
Ruth informed me today that her New Year's Resolution is to learn to read all by herself by the time she starts Kindergarten. We're excited to give it a try!
4 comments:
WOW!! Super impressive goal Ruth, I wish you the best with such a wonderful goal. Keep up the hard work and you will definetely be able to read the time your new sibling arrives. Happy New Year!
Congrats, Ruth! We always knew you were a smarty-pants!
impressive! but not so impressive as my 15 month old who reads. okay, not so much.
Good job Ruth! Ember surprised us too with those books! She'll be reading chapter books before you know it.
Post a Comment