I never make New Year's Resolutions. Mostly because I don't like to commit to things I know I'm not ready to commit to. But I think this year I'll be different! I figured if Ruth has a resolution, then maybe I should. And I want my resolution to be like hers. Since I already know how to read, it will just have to do with reading in general. And because I love my husband, I have lassoed him in to my resolution as well.
Background:
While Jonesy and I were dating, we spent a lot of time reading books together (out loud). We also used to enjoy listening to audio books on long car trips (this was before children came our way). Since we've been married we have only read one (and a half..I got impatient and read ahead) book together.
Resolution:
We are going to read a total of not less than 6 books together this year! This will require a lot of sacrifice on both our parts. Jonesy will have to play less xbox and I will have to watch less Gilmore Girls.
We Need Your Help:
So now we need some good suggestions of books that would be good/fun to read out loud together. Any genre will be acceptable (except maybe chick lit or bodice-ripping romance).
Thank You :)
9 comments:
Well, there is a book I have been trying to get that I think you both might like. It is by Gerald Lund (Jonesy don't tune out). It is not his usual fair. The book is titled "The Alliance." It's a post apocalyptic novel about a group of scientist who set out to make the perfect society by eliminating free will. From what I have heard it is great, and it is always checked out when I look for it. I guess I just need to be more patient and actually place a hold this year.
While I think this is a great idea, I selfishly want to ensure Mike still plays Xbox with us. Mike, make it so!
Nate~ thanks for the suggestion.. that sounds like a great one. Jonesy likes that kind of book.
Grumpator~ Don't worry.. I actually value the time he spends on the xbox with you guys (the company of good friends always lifts his spirits). He'll just have to cut back on xbox-ing on the nights he's not with you. :)
Great idea.
I recommend
TimeLine by Micheal Criton
Dewey the small town library cat that capured the world (see my blog for correct title)
I LOVE this New Years resolution. We read quite a few books as a family when Mike was a boy. He'll never admit it, but he listened as much as anyone to "Anne of Green Gables", "Jane Eyre" and "Indian in the Cupboard".
I'm not recommending them now, I just want to see how quickly Mike makes you erase this documentation of the soft, fluffy side of his personality. (Maniacal laughter)
I just read a cool book called Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Its young adult science fiction and has lots of interesting ideas to talk about. Have fun with your goal!
I wish I had a recommendation for you! This is a challenge because it has to be good, but not so good that one of you can't stand not picking it up when the others aren't looking. Keep me posted on what works for you. We have been trying (unsuccessfully) to make this happen the past few months! :)
Dad and I read the 'Hobbit' together too. That was fun but I'm sure you've read that one already. I heard about a book this morning on Fox news by Jack Canfield(he was their guest). He's the 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' guy. He's written one about keeping New Year's Resolutions. He has some great ideas on how to make them and keep them. I'm going to try and find that one.
Okay, that's all right then.
I second Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series - I think it's something both of you would enjoy, and I think it would be easy and fun to read aloud.
Chris and I used to read to each other while driving. Anything by Douglas Adams is good for this.
Post a Comment