Friday, September 12, 2008

The Great Lubbock Flood of 2008

That's what they're calling it. I guess it's also being called a 100 year flood. Something that only happens in Lubbock every 100 years. I've heard different reports from 6 inches to 9 inches of rain in a 24-hour period. **Update: the official word from the local weather guy is around 7.5 inches** For Lubbock that's a TON (I think the average annual rainfall is 18 inches). Jonesy got the day off today because they canceled classes at all the elementary schools and the university. Hooray!

The whole town isn't as bad as these pictures but there are parts of town that are feeling pretty soggy. The only trouble we had yesterday because of all the rain was an hour-long car ride to pick Jonesy up from work. Oh and we had to get a CV Joint replaced on our car today ($250 down the drain) but that wasn't because of the rain.

This is Ruth checking out Maxey Park...at least what she could see of it...

Want to catch a bus? Sorry you can't.

Hope there's not a fire...the firetruck won't be able to get any water!! (that's the top of a fire hydrant)
Wheelchair crossing?? I think not...
Someone was being stupid. Free car! If you can haul it, you can have it!
Got Mail?
This is Maxey Park...we usually don't have to swim to play on it...
For those who know Maxey Park, this is the area with the swings and the tire swings...
Here are the picnic tables...
Here is the little sandbox...I guess the sand probably all washed away...Jonesy wanted to get our car stuck in the water too!!

That's a major street..or was.. (Quaker)

Here's the street that goes to the parking lot of Maxey Park...can't play today!

Baseball anyone?? Oh..our car is in the water here too.. Maybe I should have driven.

More flood.

Don't drive through that!! (He doesn't listen to me)

Go right...or not..

At least we can still keep score!

Deep water.


Anyway.. this is probably the most exciting couple of days we've had in a long time. Maybe Lubbock will decide to actually put in some storm drains?! I doubt it though.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That is CRAZY. I can't even imagine. Kinda fun though I'm sure.

Kate said...

You were out driving in that? You're brave! Whenever the drains back up here a little with a big storm, I'm afraid to drive in a just a few inches.

Kat Curtis said...

Okay, that side of town looks a LOT worse than over here. Do you mind if I link in your blog post to mine because I don't have pictures of the insanity - only the river going down our street, which didn't even flood our yard. Aren't car repairs ridiculous? We actually had to have the CV joint replaced on our car a few years ago. I do not like paying a lot of money for such a little part! :P

Havilah said...

Kate~ I wish we'd taken pictures of our driving experiences yesterday...today was nothing to our drive home from the university last night!

Kat~ You can link to my blog post as long as you give me 15% of whatever you earn.

Sarah said...

Um, so when you told me it was flooding, I wasn't thinking anything that major. Dang!

Kurt and Kristy said...

Wow! Those are some great pictures!!! Do you mind if I borrow some to put on my blog???

Havilah said...

Kristy~ You may borrow some pictures, I don't mind. So you didn't get to fly to Houston?

Ron and Nina Jones said...

Havilah let me talk to my son for a minute....Michael, have you LOST YOUR MIND??? What are you doing driving in a flood? You've lived in flood plains before and you know how dangerous they are. Beeeeeeeeee careful young man, you're not too old for me to take the keys away.

Oh wait. Yes you are. Sorry. Typical mom reaction.

Glad you all made it thru unscathed. Great pics.

Cynthia Lyn said...

Wow. does this have anything to do with the hurricanes that have come through? Like a storm off the hurricane or something? I've been wondering if you got hit by it.

Jewel-e said...

Love the pics! Wasn't it a crazy storm??? We made boats Friday and went and floated them down the street. And like Kat and Kristi, can I borrow some of your pics too? Glad to know my husband wasn't the only one trying to submerge the family vehicle...sheesh!

Rachel said...

Oh man!!! How crazy to see a whole park under water!!!