I was thinking about my old couch the other day. It had a lot of meaning to me during my growing-up years. The couch was the place where my friends and I would hang out. My younger brother and his friends would watch Veggie Tales on that couch every day after school (yes, they were in high school). My older brother and his friends would crash there after spending the night partying. It was there that I began my relationship with my first boyfriend (no, I will not share details...) I spent many nights with my girlfriends laughing, crying, and analyzing the actions of all the boys we were crushing on. It seemed that whenever my siblings and I had our friends over, we would somehow ALL pile on the couch like clowns in a little car. I even spent half my junior year in high school sleeping on that couch at night (my cousin had come to live with us and she was given my room). I didn't mind at all...I loved that couch.A 9 person pile-up. This was not an unusual sight. Sorry you can't see the actual couch. My two brothers, two sisters (the baby is my little sister), two cousins, and 4 friends are all there just hanging out.

After a night of who-knows-what, my brother Aric (in the middle) and his two friends needed a place to rest. Thanks to the couch, they were very comfortable.

Another evening of hangin' out with my cousin Nic, brother Aric, BFF Sheri, and BF Jess. Those were the good ol' days.

When I went away to college, I was at work and really missing the couch and all the memories I had there so I wrote a poem. Do you want to read it?? Okay!
Oh, this picture is my favorite. My BFF Angel is on top of my brother Aric, who is on top of my brother Dustin. They were actually sleeping (or at least pretending to sleep).Ode To My Couch
by Havilah (Capel) Jones
The sun is shining, the grass is green.
Friends voices are heard as they laugh and sing.
But I am not with them because I am
Inside on my couch.
The books I read, the games I played,
The tears I cried, the bed it made.
I remember them all because I was
Inside on my couch.
The memories I share with my siblings and friends
The jokes, the movies, the nights with no end
Will not be forgotten because we were
Inside on my couch.
I remember the time when I moved away.
The tears flowed freely cause the couch had to stay.
My thoughts now turn to those times now past.
Those times I thought would always last.
The times when I was
Inside on my couch.
Hooray for memories! I think we're going to post about our memories on a regular basis so stay tuned. Maybe next time it will be a memory from Jones (he needs to post more!)
2 comments:
Havilah... you have an unusual strange obsession with your furniture... is there something I need to know about...:) Ha ha... see you tomorrow!
Those were the good ole days!
Post a Comment