Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy 4th!

Yesterday was a fun little holiday. Ruth and I went to the parade in downtown Lubbock. I was kind of disappointed with the parade. It seemed like a long line of advertisements; there were no floats! It seemed to me like all the local businesses signed up to be in the parade and they got their cars, put advertisements on them and figured that was enough. Flagstaff's parades are similar but they made it fun by throwing out candy by the handfuls. Not Lubbock. Ruth was pretty disappointed about that. We're glad we went though. It was nice to see all the Lubbock-ites gathered together. They all seem like pretty decent folk.


Here we are waiting for the parade to start...Ruth is very weird.



The parade begins!

This was the most entertaining part. There were lots of horses in the parade. The fun part was watching them poo...

...and then watching the street cleaners immediately following clean up their poo.

Here is Ruth at the parade...




After the parade we went over to some of our new friends' house for a bbq. It was nice to be able to spend the holiday with more than just our little family. I didn't take any pictures because we were having too much fun to stop for pictures. Ruth and her little friends spent the afternoon splashing in the little pool and running around like crazies in the backyard. After the bbq we dropped off the boys (party poopers) at home and Ruth and I took off to find the fireworks. The fireworks were supposed to start at 10pm. We got there at 9 and waited until 10:45 before they finally started. It was very much worth the wait. The fireworks were right above us and they were loud and beautiful.

Here is Ruth waiting for the fireworks...


All-in-all we had a pretty good holiday. We are very grateful that we live in a land where we feel safe and happy. Happy Birthday America!

4 comments:

Lis said...

I really like your patriotic background...you could leave it up all the time cuz it kind of looks Texan too. Too bad they don't put more umph into their parade!

Rachel said...

I hear ya! Parades that don't throw gobs of candy are mean! We made the mistake by one year going to Logan's parade...totally disappointing. Savanna got two pieces. Ruth is so cute though, such fun pics!

Anali said...

Party poopers? Were there street cleaners for them, too?
:-D

Kat Curtis said...

I found your blog! Yeah, we tried to drive out to the fireworks, tried to find a place to park and ended up driving around so long that the boys both fell asleep. We just ended up going home. I can't believe it took them until 10:45 to start!! That's a bit late. Sorry for the false advertising!!