Thursday, July 10, 2008

In case you were wondering...

We are very excited this week because some of our favorite TV shows are starting back up. Since we've been thinking about it a lot lately, I thought it'd be fun to share which shows we care about the most. So here they are (in no particular order):

Burn Notice is on the USA network and its second season starts tonight! The tagline for this show is " Spies don't get fired, they get burned." It's about an ex-spy who uses his skills to help people in trouble all while trying to figure out why he was 'burned.' I think we'd put this show in the category of comedy/drama. The script is very well written. The actors are great. Not to mention Bruce Campbell is in it.


If you haven't heard me talking about Stargate SG1, then you probably haven't spent much time talking to me. This show ran for 10 seasons. I stumbled upon it about 5 years ago and was hooked instantly. We own the first seven seasons and as soon as we can afford it, we will be purchasing the last three seasons. Sadly, SG1 was canceled at the end of season 10. The show is about a secret military team who travels through the Stargate to explore other worlds. The tagline for this show is " Saving the world... one episode at a time." The character development is great. The character interaction is even better. Anyone who hasn't seen this one is missing out terribly. Not to mention Richard Dean Anderson (MacGyver) is in it (and he's hilarious).


Stargate: Atlantis, a spin-off from SG1, started in 2004. It is just as great as SG1 and different enough to not get old. Season five will begin tomorrow! The tagline for this show is " A new gate will open. A lost city will rise again." The people in SG1 discovered the lost city of Atlantis...in the Pegasus Galaxy. A team of scientists and military peoples get sent to Atlantis to explore the Pegasus Galaxy where the run into a very very evil enemy called The Wraith. The Wraith like to eat people and they want to find out where Earth is so they can go eat everybody!! (okay it's not really like that, but the plot is too complicated to tell you in a few short sentances). This show has the same writers as SG1 so naturally we love the same things (character development, character interaction, etc). Not to mention Richard Dean Anderson makes a couple appearances in it (along with the other SG1 characters that we have grown to love).



Battlestar Galactica is probably Jonesy's favorite. We've just finished the first half of the last season. The last half will begin next year. Battlestar Galactica has an amazing story. The cylons have won the war and only a few thousand humans remain alive. They spend their days fighting cylons, trying to stay alive, hiding from the cylons, and keeping the fleet from entering into chaos by establishing a government all while searching for the fabled 13th colony called 'Earth'. Sound interesting? Well it is.


The 4400 is another USA Network show. It's about 4,400 missing persons all reappear in a single day. Slowly the people realize they have returned with special powers! The series has taken some interesting turns.







Ahhh, Firefly. We had a very short love affair. It ended very tragically. The network decided they didn't want to make money by airing a very well made/well scripted original TV show. By the same creators of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Firefly could have made it big. The show was canceled after a short season. I am still baffled about why it was canceled. Anyone who has seen the show can verify that it is too good to get canceled. Anyway, we watched the series and loved it. The show takes place 500 years in the future. It's fun to say that it's about cowboys in space. A crew of a small spaceship try to survive the danger of the outlaying colonies by smuggling and doing other odd jobs for people. The characters are awesome and their interactions can be hilarious. Not to mention it has Nathan Fillion (also seen in the movie Waitress) in it. Since all the fans of Firefly put up such a big fuss about its cancellation, they made a movie (which is ALMOST as good as the series) called Serenity.

We've just finished watching the second season of Heroes and we love it. A simple plot for this show is "They thought they were like everyone else... until they woke with incredible abilities." It's about a bunch of people who found out they had special abilities and now find themselves dealing with much; secrets, controlling their abilities, running from people who want to study from them and staying away from 'the Brain Man'. We're excited for Season 3 to start (whenever that may be).

Anyway.. that's all I can think of for now. And if you're thinking 'wow! that's a lot of tv they're watching! ' Don't worry. The shows aren't all on during the same time of year. :P

What about YOU? What shows do you watch?? (seriously, I want to know!)

9 comments:

amber said...

I think you have a little too much Sci-Fi running through your veins... but that's just me... Alec would definitely agree with you on most of those shows...

We, however, are more into "procedurals" - if you will - you know, CSI (although Miami has taken a REAL downfall lately), Law and Order, and you can't forget 24! We sadly miss Veronica Mars, though... But what can you do when networks cancel the good stuff in favor of dumb stuff? Oh well...

Havilah said...

Yeah, I guess we do like Sci-Fi a bit too much. I think it's because we figure if we're going to spend time vegging on the couch, we might as well do it in a different reality.

We like CSI and Law and Order too! Also NCIS. But we don't countdown the days until the next episode as religiously as we do the ones I posted about.

I'd also like to add that I like American Idol.. but Jonesy refuses to even acknowledge its existence so it didn't make it on the list.

Kate said...

I say run with what interests you - like you've been doing. If you have too much sci-fi running through your veins, I have too much anime. To each his own.

I'm looking forward to the Olympics next month. And then I think America's Next Top Model starts at the beginning of September.

Ron and Nina Jones said...

uh, last I read, 4400 was canceled. Have you heard differently? It was beginning to get wayyyyyyyyyyy to depressing for my likes, anyway.

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so with you on Battlestar Galactica! I am completely addicted and my have to chew the wallpaper off my walls while waiting for the next part of the last season.

Lis said...

We heard 4400 was canceled too. We had just gotten into it...never knew it existed before. We rented seasons 1-3 from Netflix and bought season 4 hoping it would continue but then read it had been canceled. But I think the last episode was a good ending place. It was getting a little depressing.

Unknown said...

also....as a lover of Firefly, if you haven't seen this little web movie already, you must see it now (or soon!):

http://www.drhorrible.com/act_I.html

It was done by Joss Whedon and features Nathan Fillion

Havilah said...

Thanks Kerry! That web movie was lots of fun. I'm looking forward to the next two installments. Everyone else should check it out!

Cynthia Lyn said...

We like LOST, which is about a bunch of people stranded on an island. There are some strange things about this island. I bet you would like it. We borrowed the first season from my sister, adn loved it, so we bought the second season, then borrowed the third season again, and now they are on the 4th season.

We also really like smallville (as you may be able to tell form the name of our son, KALEL.

our problem is time. For some reason, we don't really get to watch it on TV, and we miss important things. So when the season comes out, we just buy it and watch it all at once (we are impatient).

We also like 24 - especailly JAmie likes that one. and I like everybody loves raymond. I know these are kind of old shows. . . but, it's what we like.