We are sorry we lost the keys to the truck we rented from you. Ruth says she threw them off the porch and they landed in an anthill and went underground and that's why we can't see them. She also says she hid them in our room. There are boxes everywhere and we feel there is no chance we will find them any time soon. We hope you don't mind we went to a locksmith and had him cut us a new key. Since you weren't there when we brought in the truck and had to drop the key in a drop-box, we thought we'd write a little note to explain why the key is different than the one we started out with. Anyway, we loved the truck.
Love,
The Jones Family
3 comments:
I, too, have a funny story about a Penske truck. Unfortunately, I cannot blame any part of this story on my son--he was 60 miles away when it happened.
After unloading the 26 foot moving van that carried most (yes, not all) our worldly possessions to Flagstaff, I went to drop it off at the local Penske. Kerry followed in our pickup.
I missed the turn-off. Kerry did not.
As I turned around in this monster truck, I saw a little dirt road that went straight to the drop-off point. I thought that would be better than trying to get back on a major road. So, I followed this little dirt road...
...To a ditch. The ditch was lined with concrete, and looked passable. Barely.
It wasn't passable; not for a 26 foot truck.
I ended up with the rear wheels off the ground (held up by the rear bumper). This was not a four-wheel drive vehicle, so I was good and stuck. Shoving small rocks and boards under the wheels did no good.
I am too stubborn to leave the truck there (and I didn't want a $1000 towing fee). So, Kerry was kind enough to go back to our new house and get the hi-lift jack while I tried to shove larger rocks under the wheels.
I'll tell you what: the 26 foot Penske truck is heavy and I was worried about breaking the bolt designed to fail if the load is greater than 6500 pounds (a heavily loaded pickup). The Penske truck IS heavier than 6500 pounds.
The hi-lift didn't fail, and I managed to raise the wheels enough to shove big rocks under and get out. That truck is heavy! and long!
Your story is MUCH better than ours! I'm just glad it was you and not me. I would cry.
Did you really send the letter to Penske? I think that is so funny...I bet you made someone's day!
Post a Comment