Do I have any good mystery suggestions? Pull up a chair....
1) I really recommend the Amelia Peabody mysteries, by Elizabeth Peters. If you liked the movie The Mummy, you'll totally love these books - the movie is not based on the books at all, but the overall feel is similar - Egptology, a little unlikely romance, etc. Start with Crocodile on the Sandbank
2) Another very awesome book is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Nice serial murderer in late 19th c. New York.
3)Another historical mystery I enjoyed was Medicus by Ruth Downie
4)And, I HAVE to recommend The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - I haven't read the others in the series, but they are on my To-Read list.
YES! Read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. These books are funny and interesting as well as "detectivey". They take place in Botswana. I'm reading the second book now.
I'm not sure it really falls into the "detective" category, but I just finished reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote... A real life crime shown from lots of different angles... And it didn't happen too far from here (KC).
It kinda depends on weither you want a nice "cosy mystery" or something more dark and sinister. I happen to love the cozy mysteries. Such as Agatha Raisin by MC Beaton, some are better then others, The Ursula Blanchard series by Fiona Buckley these take place during Queen Elizabeth I reign. Ursula acts as a spy for her and its a historical kinda serial. I also love Agatha Christie! I especially love her Miss Marpel and Poroit series. For something a little more "dark" I love Anne Perry her series Featuring Thomas Pitt; starts with "The Cater Street Hangman." Hope that helps, happy reading!
8 comments:
Dracula. :P
If Van Helsing isn't a detective, I don't know who is.
Do I have any good mystery suggestions? Pull up a chair....
1) I really recommend the Amelia Peabody mysteries, by Elizabeth Peters. If you liked the movie The Mummy, you'll totally love these books - the movie is not based on the books at all, but the overall feel is similar - Egptology, a little unlikely romance, etc. Start with Crocodile on the Sandbank
2) Another very awesome book is The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Nice serial murderer in late 19th c. New York.
3)Another historical mystery I enjoyed was Medicus by Ruth Downie
4)And, I HAVE to recommend The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - I haven't read the others in the series, but they are on my To-Read list.
YES! Read the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. These books are funny and interesting as well as "detectivey". They take place in Botswana. I'm reading the second book now.
i really want to read "escape" by Carol Jessop. it's not a mystery though, i guess I am no help!
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll start with The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency because two people gave the recommendation.
I knew I could count on you guys!
I'm not sure it really falls into the "detective" category, but I just finished reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote... A real life crime shown from lots of different angles... And it didn't happen too far from here (KC).
It kinda depends on weither you want a nice "cosy mystery" or something more dark and sinister. I happen to love the cozy mysteries. Such as Agatha Raisin by MC Beaton, some are better then others, The Ursula Blanchard series by Fiona Buckley these take place during Queen Elizabeth I reign. Ursula acts as a spy for her and its a historical kinda serial. I also love Agatha Christie! I especially love her Miss Marpel and Poroit series. For something a little more "dark" I love Anne Perry her series Featuring Thomas Pitt; starts with "The Cater Street Hangman." Hope that helps, happy reading!
Post a Comment