Wednesday, April 23, 2008

BAM--April

Well you might have noticed (or not) that we didn't post for the Book A Month Challenge in March. That is mostly because we were busy and because only Jonesy read the book (I am a slacker--and not that interested in sushi) But just so you know, The Zen of Fish is very highly recommended by Jonesy. He's just been too busy to write about it. So read it

This month, the opposite happened. I read the book we chose and Jonesy didn't. I think it's mostly because he has no interest in beauty. The theme for April was 'beauty' so we chose to read Memoirs of a Geisha. We thought this would be appropriate for the theme because Geisha are all about beauty. An important thing I learned from the book is that being a Geisha is not only about physical beauty. In fact, that has little to do with the beauty of a Geisha. The clothes they wear, the dances they do, the music they play and the conversations they have are more the type of beauty that defines them. Being a Geisha is an artform.

Anyway, the book is a story about a young girl who is sold to become a Geisha. She goes through many trials, both physically and emotionally. The author did an amazing job of telling the story. It flowed perfectly. I really enjoyed reading about another culture and getting a glimpse into a lifestyle that I had preconceived notions about that were completely wrong. If you've seen the movie you might think that you don't need to read the book. I rented the movie after I read the book and was sorely disappointed. The plot is all wrong, the characters are not the same; it's like a whole other story (a crappy one). So read the book, please! This book is highly recommended!

3 comments:

Mama J said...

I almost left home at 15 to become a Geisha... But the whole not being "Asian" didnt work out to well, so then i came home.
I totally will read that book. I wanted to see the movie. But i will take your advice! :)

Anonymous said...

I read the book AFTER seeing the movie - on purpose - and had an equally enjoyable experience with both. Hmm... I just finished the book I was reading, maybe I'll go back for a replay of this one...

Kate said...

It's on my to-read list, so thanks for the suggestion!!