Thursday, February 28, 2008

You're fired.

So, for those of you who don't know, I have been jobless for about a month now. I, Mr. Jones, got fired. Kinda. Not really. I still get a paycheck, still have benefits, and still collect retirement. I just don't have to go to work. In fact, I'm not allowed to go to work. My contract, which is up June, will not be renewed. So I need to find a new job before then.

Why did I get fired? Well, thats a long story. Suffice to say, I'm not a very good teacher in the classroom, and I have a habit of not treating the students like precious snowflakes. Oh, and I swear. A lot. That, and I came down on the wrong side of a political struggle at the workplace. Now, my boss didn't want to fire me, my co-workers (with two notable exceptions) didn't want me to leave, and there were a handful of students who actually liked me and my, ehm, unique teaching style. (They were, of course, all techs) But those that didn't like me, (either because of my lack of teaching ability, my caustic personality, or the fact that they perceived me as a political opponent) leveled enough complaints about me (real and otherwise, cause believe me, I know I did some stupid things) to the dean of the college and the president of the university, and the decision was made to cut me loose. And since I was a professional staff employee, the decision didn't have to go through and of the normal channels (committees and the likes) and the President was able to make the decision all by himself.

But why didn't they just outright fire me? Because if they had of, I could have filed a grievance or worse, sued them for unlawful termination. Why unlawful? Because the final complaint against me appears to be pretty weak. But by just reassigning my duties and choosing not to renew my contract, I am unable to file a grievance, (per my contract) and have no basis to sue them. Also, they don't have to tell me why I am being let go.

So the last month has been very hard for me. I have been depressed, angry, bewildered, and angry some more. But I have come to some realizations.

1) My family and I are extremely blessed. They might have fired me, leaving me without a paycheck, without insurance, and without a way to take care of my family. Instead, I have an opportunity to focus my time fully on finding a new job. And I am spending time with Havilah and the kids, which when it comes right down to it, are the most important things I have. Plus, I can look for some part time work and save up for when we move and any space between the end of my contract and the start of a new position. So all in all, it looks like Someone is still taking care of us.

2) I am not blameless in this. I did, in fact, make many mistakes. Some of them were due to ignorance on my part, and others because of pride. I have been so proud of being perceived as being a caustic, abrasive and sarcastic personality that I have been either unwilling or unable to change my behavior, (such as swearing and kidding around) with my students. And that behavior is just not accepted in a learning environment. And honestly, I'm not a good teacher. Give me a crew in a hands on environment, and I rock. But in a classroom, I am very weak. And it scares the crap out of me. So I cover that fear by joking with the students and swearing. Thus causing more problems. So maybe I need to get a non teaching position and just grow up. A bit. Around underlings, at least.

3) Spending my time being pissed of about this whole situation is not going to accomplish anything. So I need to focus my energy on finding a new job and spending my time constructively.

Umm, so yeah, thats what I have been doing. Anyone know of any job openings?

9 comments:

Lis said...

Hang in there Michael! At least you are leaving in a very dramatic way. Isn't that more fun and more characteristic of a theater guru than just quiting? And getting paid for looking for a better job!...you wanted to leave anyway, right? Who could ask for more? Yes, I think someone is still watching over you and your family.

Learn from your mistakes and move foward. We've all done stupid things that we regret but the important part is that we realize what mistakes we've made, learn from them, and keep going.

I think you are very talented and have a lot to offer. As President Hinckley was often quoted as saying: "It will all turn out."

Richie said...

Sorry to hear about all that, but you sound like you're ready to move on. Have you tried Art Search?

Jones said...

Yeah, I've been all over ArtSearch. I've probably put in 2 dozen resumes in the past 3 weeks. I am sure something will come along.

Macy Perrone said...

jones--i've learned that sometimes things don't turn out the way we want them to but the way the SHOULD be! keep your chin up, things will work out in the end. i will keep my ears open about job oppurtunities. are you willing to relocate? are you still coming to usitt?

Jones said...

Macy - I will most certainly be at USITT, and we are certainly open to re-locating.

Gary and Lindsay said...

I bet it's been a tough month, and I can't imagine the emotions. I think you are being quite mature and correct, at recognizing you blessings. When you're in a hard spot, it's never easy to do. I will watch for jobs...will be checking SUU...I would love a Jones family nearby! I miss you guys and love reading your blog..it's like I actually have a friend or something!

Havilah, let me know how you like Sense and Sensibilty! ...I have been wanting to read Inkheart too!

Lindsay
*

Anonymous said...

Well, Mike what can you say, if you just stopped calling you students f#3#a$#@%#$%T%^$ 56$%6$^34545 all the time things might have turned out differently.

No, from the sound of it that fired teacher was just going to make the job there $#!^ until you quit or were fired. We still hope that you get the job at the U. IF you are going to live in Utah again you might as well work for the best school right?

Take care and we are praying for you.

Nate and Bekah

Ma said...

Mike - your one smart guy. You're figuring out a whole bunch of things that it takes others decades to learn. I know it may not seem like it now, but you're going to look back on this and see even more blessings once you get through it. The main thing to remember is not to let anyone else affect how you act, think or behave. There will always be people who want to pop every balloon you have. The more you rise above it all, the less chance they have of reaching you (gosh, I'm waxing philosophical here, aren't I?)

You're dad and I love you just the way you are (though we're a little excited about the chance that you might let go of that cussing stuff :-0 ).

I guess Heavenly Father wanted you to have the amazing experience of free falling so that you can see how much he loves and will take care of you - so much so that he even gave you a little push to get started.

Here's our promise to you (well, actually it's God's promise, but we'll pass it along) ... get ready to open up and accept the amazing blessings that are about to come your way - exercise FAITH - and don't convince yourself that you don't deserve it and the world will open up to you. HONEST!

And just remember, you family loves you and believes in you very, very much.

Cynthia Lyn said...

Jones and HAvilah,

I understand how you feel, to a point. For a long time just after shayleigh was born, he was without a job (they found an excuse to fire him). For a few long months, we had no job, no money. Except we were lucky because I had worked before shayleigh was bron, and saved money for hospital bills (turned out we dind't need it all, so we lived on that for awhile). Eventuailly, Jamie found a job, which directly lead to us buying our business. And that has been a life changing event (now we have a house, a good job, stability, we were able to afford haing another kid, and able to move out of his grandma's house). When it get's hard, just remember that everything happends for a reason. Be sure ot pull together and support each other through this hard time. And at least you are still getting a pay check! I'm sure things will work out for you, and be better than it was bwfore. Just be patient. It did for us.