Monday, December 15, 2008

Chapter Books


Ruth has discovered the wonders of reading (or being read to). We decided to start reading chapter books to her at night before bed. I wasn't sure if she was quite ready to graduate to listening to a story without pictures but I was happily surprised. I should have known she'd love it because everyday in the car she insists on listening to stories from my ipod. (check out storynory.com for free podcasts of all kinds of stories!)

Anyway so now she's (read: we're) hooked! We've been reading mostly Magic Treehouse books by Mary Pope Osborne. Ruth wants chapter books for Christmas and I think we're ready to branch out and find more chapter books to read. Any suggestions??

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry! It's a Peter Pan story. I love those books and my sister in law reads them to her kids who are 6 and 8--they love them.

Anali said...

You can start with some of the early Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, like Ramona the Pest - Ruth's just about Ramona's age in those books.

Don't forget anything by E.B. White - Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan. Classics!

I'm happy to say that my niece Ruth loves the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede, because I gave them to her. Your Ruth might like them too - a princess that doesn't need anyone to save her!

moecleo said...

THe super fudge series by Beverly Cleary. When she is older 9 to 12 Ruth might like the sweet valley twins series, I think she maybe too young for them now. I was about 10 or 11 when I started reading them.

Havilah said...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anali~I just got Ruth Ramona the Pest.
I think the Enchanted Forest Chronicles will be great! I read Dealing with Dragons a few years ago and loved it. I'm now reading another book by Patricia Wrede that you might like called "Sorcery and Cecilia or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot" (or something like that).

Sarah~ I started reading Peter and the Starcatchers a few years ago. I think that one will be great but I'll probably wait a few years. :)

Trish~ I loved those books when I was young. I'm excited to get Ruth reading on her own so she can enjoy them too :)

Jessica said...

Kurtis really liked Charlotte's Web and we just bought him more EB White books like Stuart Little. I think Ruth would like the Junie B. Jones books too. They are really cute!

Gary and Lindsay said...

My boys LOVED the Magic Treehouse series! I think they are a perfect chapter book start! My kids also enjoyed Junie B Jones, Charlotte's Web, The Wizard of Oz, and My Father's Dragon. Havilah--you are going to LOVE reading chapter books with Ruth! We have enjoyed this so much with our boys! Ruth is so smart and imaginative, she will be reading them herself soon I'm sure! (But that doesn't mean you can't still do it with her!) I love this time with my kids. Oh I almost forgot! A Necklace of Raindrops is one of my favorites, by Joan Aiken--it's a collection of very magical and whimsical stories written many years ago--with rich vocabulary!
I hope you are liking Sorcery and Cecelia. I always get nervous about my recommendations!

Bethany Thompson said...

you gotta read Junie B Jones... Ruth would LOVE them because the little girl in the books is so funny!

Anali said...

I third Junie B. Jones - a recent discovery for me. They are hilarious!

Slight correction - Superfudge is by Judy Blume, not Beverly Cleary.

I got my younger niece some Commander Toad books this year, by Jane Yolen. I know you guys would love those books, too. They're not exactly chapter books, but definitely longer books for the kids to learn to read on their own.

Ron and Nina Jones said...

One of my absolute favorite book growing up was "Diamond In the Window". It has a really powerful message, a little mystery and lots of adventure, all in a young boy and girl's home. I still have it. When Ruthie is just a little older, I'll bring it to her.

I can't believe the Little House series hasn't been mentioned. Roni's girls have been through the whole series. Ruthie is the perfect age for the first one - "Little House in the Big Woods". Then I'd probably move on to "Farmer Boy" and then back to the rest of the series.

My favorite SERIES is the "Wrinkle In Time" series by Madeline L'Engle, but that is more pre-teen. As usually happens, the first is the absolute best. of the series.

Between all of us in Mike's extended family, we'll probably keep you well versed in some of the classics. As you know, we're all 'book-a-holics'.

BTW, one of Mike's favorite non-chapter books when he was Ruthie's age was "There's a Monster at the End of This Book" - it's a Sesame Street Book and it's a real hoot. Have you read that one yet?