The Jones Clan started a Christmas tradition last year of making homemade ornaments for our tree. Last year we made some that look like gingerbread cookies. Here is the recipe:
Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
- 1/2 cup ground cinnamon,
- 1/3 cup applesauce, and
- 1 Tbs. Tacky glue
If you're wondering, Jonesy did the one on that is being hung by his toes. It looks so cute hanging off the bottom of the tree.Does anybody have any ideas for this year's Christmas ornament craft? It has to be something a 3-year-old can help with. Suggestions would be marvelous!
4 comments:
we made these last year
umm... here's a link: http://www.k12.hi.us/~tmaddox/December/Handprint_Ornament.htm
it's the third picture down. just get a blue ornament, dip the kid hand in white paint and put it on the ornament, then make them look like snowmen! cute, but can be a challenge with the little hands.
Wow, those glue/applesauce/cinnamon ornaments sound....interesting. I'm completely boggled by the amount of cinnamon, though. Do you worry about the kids trying to eat those? Where did you get that recipe?
I'd worry about Mike trying to eat them if he was in a munchy mood...
I love homemade ornaments, almost my whole tree is covered with them. My family often buys those plain styrofoam balls (usually covered with colored threads) and decorates them using glue, ribbons, pins, beads, and sequins. I love those. For having Ruth help you, you might avoid the pins, but buy cute sequins and ribbons to glue on. In any case, they are super cheap, easy, and very unique.
The other thing my mom does is make snowflake, wreath, and icicle ornaments using pipe cleaners and beads. Just thread the beads on the pipe cleaners and twist them in the shapes you want. Obviously the icicle ones are the easiest.
I'll post some pictures of the ones I have on my blog later, but here's a couple of websites with similar ideas.
Thanks for the ideas! They are all pretty cool.
I don't worry too much about the kids trying to eat the ornaments.. Gareth can't reach the tree and Ruth knows that they aren't edible. If Jonesy tried to eat them he would quickly give up... they are hard as rock. They smell great though because of all the cinnamon. I think I sneezed a lot when I was making them, but after that our home was filled with the scent of cinnamon. You should try making them!
How about somthing simple, like making hand prints and putting them on the tree? Something simple that you can look at every year and say "look how small your hadn was!"
Post a Comment