Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Habits

One thing that I love about Jonesy is that he has the same passion for reading that I do.  Not only a passion for reading, but also a passion for BOOKS (more on that later).  I was reading a book blog that I follow the other day and I found this fun survey.  Enjoy!

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:
Not usually.  But when I do, I prefer chocolate!

What is your favorite drink while reading?
Water...that way when I spill I can still read the words.
Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
No!  But it's not a bad idea.  There have been so many times I've read something in a book that I love and want to remember forever but I instantly forget it after I turn the page.  I'll have to work on that.  And no, writing in books doesn't horrify me...as long as it's nice and neat and pretty.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
I'm a fan of Dog-ears.  Don't hate me!  It's a lot better than laying the book flat open.  (Jones does that....and he gets mad when I dog-ear....kinda wierd)

Fiction, nonfiction, or both?
Mostly Fiction.  Willing to do Nonfiction if I HAVE to.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I used to have to read to the end of the chapter.  NOW, though I can stop mid-sentance (and often have to...children do that to you).

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
NO!  Books are sacred!  You can write in them because it doesn't make them any weaker.  Throwing them is bad.  Very bad.  So is standing on them, scooting on them, and blowing your nose on them (that's what I tell my kids, anyway).

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Nope.  I'm very good at figuring out what a word means through context.  Either that or I just ignore the word and move on.  I bet I'd be smarter if I looked the word up.

What are you currently reading?
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

What is the last book you bought?
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
One at a time people!  When I was a kid, I got two books from the book fair.  Charlotte's Web and James and the Giant Peach.  I didn't want one or the other to feel left out so I read one chapter out of one and then one chapter out of the other and switched off so I wouldn't hurt their feelings.  I've grown up now and realize that books are very forgiving and are ok with it if you read another book before you read that one.
Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
I love to read in bed with a lamp right beside me so I can just fall asleep and not have to get up to turn off the light.  I also LOVE to read outside on a blanket.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I like either.  Lately I've only been able to have the patience to read stand-alones. 

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
How do you organize your books?(by genre, title, author’s last name, etc)
By size!


I would LOVE to read your answers!

3 comments:

Ron and Nina Jones said...

Ron read the Red Tent - he's not a big reader, so it was surprising. I 'read' it for a few chapters (well, it was an audiobook for me) It was a little 'rough' for us. We're pansies.

I dog ear. Ron throws anything in as a bookmark (bills, receipts, scraps of paper, whatever)

Don't read half as much as I did when I was younger. I'm sooooooooooo impatient. So, so, so, so, so. Just can't keep focused. I'm so impatient I don't even have the time to fill out the survey.

But when I do read, it's mostly self help now....I'm pitiful.

BUT, in my corner, I do read the Ensign from cover to cover. Conversely, I no longer read The Readers Digest cover to cover. I've actually learned to be discerning - because some articles can be upsetting (like the appropriately named "That's Outrageous", which makes it impossible to sleep at nights at times.)

Huh. Crazy me.

Kate said...

Fun survey. :)

moecleo said...

I took your quiz, but you have to check out my blog to see the answers.