Most of you who know Ruth know that she talks a lot. It can sometimes be funny to just sit back and listen and see where she takes herself in her conversation. This works best in the car. Tonight we were driving home from dinner at my parents and we had a lovely conversation with Ruth. It started by her asking how the moon and the sun go up and down. We answered her by saying that it it's not the sun that's moving but its us on the earth turning and going around the sun. Then she was a bit confused about how the earth can be moving cause it doesn't look like it's moving. "Then why don't we slide around and stuff?" She asked. We then started telling her about gravity. I asked her if she's ever noticed that every time she drops something it always falls down and never up. Then to be silly I pointed out that the only exception would be if you dropped a bird cause it wouldn't drop cause it could fly away. Then she and Jones at the same time pointed out that it would fall if it were a dead bird. It was at this point that Ruth decided to try to think of things that wouldn't fall to the ground if it died. (strange I know). Jones and I gracefully took ourselves out of that conversation and left her to figure it out on her own. Occasionally I would listen in to check up on how our conversation was going. Here are some things I heard:
"A deer would fall to the ground when it died."
"A tree would fall to the ground eventually when it died."
"Rocks don't die so it wouldn't fall to the ground."
And then my brilliant daughter came up with the answer. Can YOU think of what doesn't fall to the ground when it dies?? Cause Ruth can. Didja think of it? Well I'll tell you. This is what she said:
"I got it! I know what doesn't fall to the ground when it dies! A battery!!"
Mensa here we come!
6 comments:
lol, that's awesome. She probably should skip on to 2nd grade or something.
Brilliant!! I always knew she was!
Oh my gosh, she made up and solved her own riddle. What a smartypants!
Wow, she is deep! You could make that into a joke and sell it to Laffy Taffy :)
What is Mensa??
Also, i wonder where this wonderful child's sense of humor came from. It must come from your side Havi, cuz I've never seen it in my side of the family. (Cough,cough)
i told you she was brilliant! :)
Post a Comment